“Working together to promote
Through collaboration, leadership and action we will practice an integrated, proactive and effective response to Domestic Violence within the City of Kawartha Lakes and Haliburton region.
What we do…
The Kawartha Lakes & Haliburton Domestic Violence Coordinating Committee has been meeting since 2000 to provide a more consistent response to victims/survivors in the community. We also work towards filling the gaps and addressing the barriers that currently exist in our services.
We Do This By…
- Supporting campaigns that promote healthy relationships
- Organizing events that educate the community on how to respond to violence against women and children.
Women who are abused are often referred to a variety of services across different service sectors, which include justice, shelter, health care, and child services. Workers from all these different sectors cooperated to create the Domestic Violence Protocol (Rev.2011), which sets out a coordinated strategy for action among all the different service providers.
- Training staff and volunteers of member agencies in the use of the Domestic Violence Protocol to: increase their knowledge of the roles and responsibilities of other agencies that serve victims of partner abuse, increase community awareness of the local service and supports available for victims, increase safety and improve access for victims.
Networking and Coordination
- On-going sharing of information, best practices, and research findings.
- Using the Domestic Violence Protocol for responding to domestic violence in the City of Kawartha Lakes & Haliburton.